Facilities and Maintenance Engineering Manager
Job reference: 1627/FMEM
Job function/discipline: Engineering
Basic salary: Commensurate with experience
Closing date: 28th July 2017
Ulster Carpets was founded by George Walter Wilson in Northern Ireland in 1938 and is still privately owned by the founder’s family. Ulster Carpets has taken the positive attributes associated with being a family business and combined them with a forward thinking, global approach to business. The result is a technologically advanced, service driven company with flair, flexibility and a passion for quality. Ulster Carpets is investing £30M in its facilities in Portadown.
• Job Purpose:
Initially reporting to the Chief Operations Director, your role will be to take the technical lead in project managing the programme of works relating to projects associated with the £30M planned investment programme in new plant and machinery. Longer term, you will report to the Production Director to manage and maintain all site facilities including all machinery and equipment. You will take the lead in ensuring efficiency and continuous improvement in machinery productivity as well as the productivity of the technical team under your responsibility.
• Main Tasks:
- Manage a buildings and facilities management programme that complies with current environmental and safety legislation.
- Contribute to the strategic plan and support its implementation to ensure delivery against key performance indicators; safety, quality, cost, production/ maintenance schedules, machine and people utilization.
- Manage premises and facilities infrastructure services including; suppliers, maintenance contractors, regulatory bodies and utility providers.
- Co-ordinate contractors coming on site to ensure all risk assessments are undertaken and assessed as required.
- Ensure the implementation of energy, environmental and health and safety policies to ensure effective controls are in place to drive efficiency throughout the facility.
- Work with senior management to ensure effective systems are in place to control budgets.
- Provide positive leadership, management and coaching to staff during a period of transformation and change as a result of new technology.
- Lead and manage the maintenance and facilities team in an engaging manner, encouraging open communication to ensure the sites infrastructure, equipment and services effectively meet business needs.
- Ensure all plant, machinery and buildings are maintained to operational, safety and legislative requirements.
- Ensure ongoing assessment of skills versus requirements to service present and future technologies.
- Lead continuous improvement programmes aligned to productivity of resource and plant.
- Responsibility for the maintenance of the fleet of fork truck and high reach trucks used throughout the complex as well as the boiler, compressed air system and sprinkler system.
- Ensure compliance with ISO14001 environmental and ISO9001 quality procedures.
- A third level qualification in a related discipline, preferably mechanical and/or electrical engineering
- Previous facilities and maintenance management experience preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Experience of having been involved in a major transformation project of new facilities
- Project and budget management experience
- Ability to initiate change programmes brought about by the introduction of new process technology
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence at all levels to ensure business objectives are met
- Ability to implement a culture of employee engagement
- Ability to effectively plan and utilise resource
- Ability to maximise productivity on capital employed
- Commercial focus
- Understanding of the workings of a family business with global success
- Collaborative and engaging working style and approach to people