Head of Business Development
Job reference: 1625/HBD
Job function/discipline: Business Development, Sales, Commercial
Basic salary: Commensurate with experience
On behalf of our client, Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NI Chamber) we are recruiting a Head of Business Development.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, this is a senior management role in one of NI’s most prestigious and well-known membership organisations. With a strong Board, high media profile and close connections with Government, NI Chamber has a portfolio of services to help members enhance their brand, build networks, learn from others, grow their business and export their products and services.
The Head of Business Development will lead business development activity at the NI Chamber including the overall management of all strategic sales and customer relationship activities. Focused on the acquisition and retention of members and partners, you will lead the Business Development team in promoting membership and the highly valuable range of services which drive customer satisfaction in line with NI Chamber’s vision and values.
- Annual planning for membership income (Budget, sales planning, targets, promotional activity)
- Annual planning with wider team to agree other income targets such as export document service, sponsorship, exhibition stands, website advertising.
- Monitor and review personal performance along with team performance against set targets.
- Research and development to maintain an awareness of business issues, the business market, growth sectors as well as services offered by competition to support business development.
- Financial review of service and membership delivery with a view to meeting budgeted outcomes.
- Resource planning and implementation to ensure appropriate resources and systems are in place to support business objectives.
Increasing and Retaining Membership
- Direct sales activity, recruiting and retaining allocated target and existing members.
- Engage with members via site visits to ensure that senior management understand the role of NI Chamber and services provided and that the companies have an engagement plan in line with their membership level.
- Work with the Communication Team to support recruitment targets through a programme of marketing, and promotional activities.
- Monitor and assess membership financial and volume performance at all times, track progress against sales targets and provide monthly progress reports to the CEO.
- Monitor customer participation and satisfaction levels to support membership retention targets.
- Work with the Member Services Team and the wider team to develop services and promote existing services in order to maximise impact of recruitment strategy.
- Ensure the membership “on boarding” experience is consistent, streamlined and effective across collection of fees, distribution of member services packs etc. as per NI Chamber procedure manual and Quality Management System. Reviewing and ensuring all processes are effective and fit for purpose. Conduct exit interviews with outgoing members and provide feedback to support future product and service development.
- Oversee and support credit control in relation to membership fees and charges for services.
- Lead, develop and manage the team of Business Development Executives (3).Ensure all team members represent NI Chamber in a professional manner.
- Effectively communicate key objectives of team.
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring of team, building confidence and driving performance to meet key targets.
- As part of the annual planning process set KPIs for team members in line with the agreed income budget; monitor performance, conduct performance reviews and appraisals and manage poor performance.
As a member of the Senior Management Team the successful person will be expected to contribute to achieving overall team targets as well as representing the business externally from time to time.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Min of 5 years’ experience in Business Development in a B2B environment.
- Ability to build strong business relationships and evidence of a well-developed business network.
- People management experience within a sales environment and evidence of team success.
- Personable, professional with high levels of integrity and credibility.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills and IT literacy
- Full Driving License and access to transport
- Good understanding of NI Chamber vision, values and strategic objectives within the business community.
- Strong business network in Northern Ireland.
- Experience in membership sales or similar environment.
- Professional Sales qualification or certified training.
- Professional Management qualification or certified training.
To discuss this role in complete confidence please telephone Beth McMaw on 90628877.
To request an information pack email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply email your CV to email@example.com by the closing date of Monday 19th June 2017.